Unplanned upgrade of my Y6 frame
I'm going a bit out of order here, as I still haven't written up the build for either my MultiWii Quad or original build of the 3DR Y6. But this one is more interesting.
I'd flown my Y6 a good number of times, even several in quite windy conditions at Emerald Isle, NC. Had never had any problems with lack of control or anything. Last weekend, I finally got around to adding LED strips to the legs to help with orientation, including a 12V regulator (I usually fly with a 4S pack and the LEDs aren't intended for that high voltage). While I was at it, I hooked up an additional JST connector to my power distribution board to power my gimbal.
After all that, I did a quick test flight in my backyard and everything appeared to be working properly. So after work, I stopped by the park to try a real flight with some space to maneuver. I was in a bit of a rush, so didn't connect my tablet or wait for GPS lock, just intending to fly around a bit in Stabilize mode.
I took off and everything was working fine for about 20 seconds or so. Then it started flying away. I tried turning it around to head back towards me, but it kept flying in the same direction. I pretty quickly ran out of space and crashed into a fence. The carnage was pretty impressive:
- Broke all 6 props
- Bent both mounting plates for the gimbal as well as the RC connector (though it still works)
- APM and GPS sheared off the mounting plates
- Broke a bunch of the nylon screws for the landing gear and lost a spacer
- Broke all the standoffs for the GPS/accessory plate
- Cracked the carbon fiber base plate and it broke in half
Update: Replaced the top and bottom plates with new ones from the 2014 frame kit and it's back in the air.